Monday 12 April 2010

Cannelloni

There are some pasta dishes that you either see in restaurants or as prepared meals in the supermarkets. Cannelloni is one of these.

It has been one that I have not made for a while, but while out for dinner with my better half, she mentioned that she loved Cannelloni so I had a look for the pasta to use at home. But in Tesco the price was nearly three pounds, and was far to expensive. I even considered making my own pasta to get around that cost, but I knew that I would find it cheaper elsewhere. But Morrisons did not stock it and it was not until last week that I had the opportunity to visit Asda where I found it on the shelf for less than one pound.

Therefore I got some Ricotta cheese and everything else I had to make some Ricotta and spinach Cannelloni While it is a dish that requires you getting your hands in the food, and does take a bit of effort, the resulting meal was much praised by my better half.

However, it was the cost difference between buying the ready made Cannelloni that made me think. While you can bye ready meals Ricotta and spinach Cannelloni for three pounds per portion, with only two or three stuffed tubes. Yet it cost me less than two pounds to make this with four stuffed tubes per serving. This without the artificial additives that often ruin the taste of so many processed meals.

If anyone ever doubted that home cooking was worth the effort, then this dish shows that it is it. Not just with the money saved but with the improved flavour, texture and taste.

No comments: