Tuesday 23 March 2010

A Civilised way to Shop

I live in a former mining village and like most villages across the country, there are limited shopping opportunities. When I first moved here three years ago, it was the local woodland that was the main attraction and had I been looking for good food shopping locations, this would not have been it. I did try supporting the local shops and it does have a greengrocer, but the range is limited and the quality poor. Thus I have had to travel in to the city of Newcastle or the Town of Consett to get fruit and vegetables.

However, last year in the next village a greengrocer opened. And near Christmas I popped in and get some items. I was reasonably impressed with the quality, so I have been intending to return. But as its not cheap to hop on the bus for short trips, it was not worth doing that. Also with the hard winter, walking there was not really an option either, well not until now. With the arrival of spring, I decided that it was worth taking a stroll through the woods to greengrocers for the items that I needed. I was needing a few items to cook a particular dish.

While the quality of some items was not perfect, they were more than adequate for my needs, and the quality of most were better than most places and better than I could get in my village. The price was very reasonable too. For example the leeks were 30% cheaper than most places and half the cost of the supermarkets.

Also as they serve tea as they are next to the road entrance to the forest I was able to stop for a cup before walking back through the woodland landscape. Thus making a very civilised way to go shopping. I will be trying to make the effort to go as regularly as I can, but as with most people, I can only do that when time allows.

No comments: