Saturday 7 August 2010

The Spice of Life

None of us ever knows where life and events will lead us. Having avoided the initial effects of the credit crunch, the collapse of the banks, and I was even predicting it in blog postings elsewhere. The effects still caught up with me.

Therefore, needing to develop other ways of earning my crust, I looked at utilising my skills developed from a life long passion and concern about food. Having previously owned and run a small whole-food shop, I looked at various aspects of my experience there to see if there were skills and previously garnered knowledge that I could use.

When I had the shop, one of the aspects that was profitable and enjoyable was the herbs and spices. I had been lucky, as when younger and lodging with an Indian family, I had learnt how to use many of the spices and utilise them to lift rather bland foods to create something special. Thus, when I started selling the spices, I had some knowledge of how to use them and with good suppliers too, I became well known for my herbs and spices.

However, rents and business rates started to rise and even though the business was paying its way, at that time, I could see it would not last. Therefore I closed it down. At that time it was the right thing to do. But while most supermarkets do now carry an extensive range, they were/are never as fresh as I used to get.

Therefore, I took the chance and started re-contacting my previous suppliers, and while some were no longer trading, enough where so that I could start buying in the stock I needed. As well as selling the herbs and spices I would make my own blends. As I had done previously.

The one important difference between the time I had the shop, and now was the Internet. It was then in its infancy and trying to get to understand how to sell online was not easy. Further, everyone I spoke to had different opinions about how it should be done, and even if it should be done. Most of the business folks that I spoke to and sought advice from, actually told me that the web would disappear in a few years, and I would be wasting my time and money. It was true that the costs I was being quoted then were far more than I could have afforded. Or if I did find enthusiastic people, they would be talking in terms of millions in sales potential, that my small scale ideas would have been lost.

But, the ideas persisted and I have started selling my herbs and spices online, at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/lovethediet It is a small scale operation and I also sell the spices at markets too, but I am pleased about the reaction I am getting thus far.

While I never envisioned this web log as something commercial, with me now selling these spices on line, I can see advantages in providing information that I just don’t have the room on the Ebay site to provide. Further, it enables me to interact with people regarding the way that different herbs and spices can be used.

It was just such an interaction that made me realise this, as I had a question regarding some spices for a Whiskey Cake from a German customer who had just been to Scotland. So over the next few months, I will add a few recipes and ideas of how these spices can be used.



No comments: